Why You Should Get a Second Opinion from a Johns Creek Dentist
When you have been told that major restorative dentistry or even cosmetic dentistry procedures are the right choice for your oral health, it’s a good idea to get a second opinion. We know it’s important for you to feel comfortable with your choices before embarking on any major dental procedures. Dr. Mitul Patel and the staff at our Johns Creek dental office welcome new patients into our office so we can provide a second opinion for a diagnosis received elsewhere.
At Family & Cosmetic Dental Care, we also encourage our patients to seek a second opinion if they have concerns about our recommended dental plan. We won’t be offended!
When Should I Get a Second Opinion from a Dentist?
It isn’t necessary to get a second opinion for every cavity you need to have filled, but some dental procedures can be costly and invasive. If you’re trying to determine, for example, if a tooth extraction or a root canal is the better choice, you will want a few professional opinions to guide you to the right decision for your well-being.
Get a Second Opinion
Think about it, it can’t hurt to ask. Call us at (770) 888-3384 We’ll discuss a consultation for a second opnion.
Schedule a Second Opinion[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
If you have any of the following questions about your dental diagnosis, seeking a second opinion will give you peace of mind and the information you need to choose your dental path:
- Do I need this dental procedure? Each dentist has unique experiences and beliefs about what dental care is right for a certain situation. One dentist may believe a procedure is necessary while another may consider it to be detrimental to oral health over time. Be careful to avoid choosing a dentist simply because they opt for the easier or less expensive route. Be as impartial as you can so that you can gather the information necessary to make an educated and logical decision about your oral health.
- Is this the right dentist to perform the procedure? You can trust your dentist and still feel comfortable gathering a second opinion for a major dental procedure. Seek a dental professional who has different skills and experience so that you can decide who is best suited to conduct your procedure. In some cases, the expertise of a combination of dental professionals may be the best choice for your oral health care.
- Is this the right cost for the dental procedure? Cost should never be the deciding factor when you’re figuring out how to proceed with your dental health. It is important, however, to determine if the price you are being charged is reasonable based on your oral health situation and your Johns Creek-area location. If the estimates you receive differ greatly, try to account for the difference. Are you comparing like procedures with like? Is one dentist giving you a lower rate because they are lacking in experience? Is one price higher because you are paying for a certain level of expertise?
- Will this repair fix my dental problem once and for all? If you are unsatisfied with the dental care you have received in the past, and you seem to have the same problem repeatedly, seeking a second opinion may also help you find a primary dentist who is a better fit for you. A second opinion may also confirm that your dentist is doing everything right but the nature of your oral health problem is difficult to repair and may need to be addressed multiple times.
Questions to Ask at Your Appointment for a Second Opinion
When you seek a second opinion, tell the dentist what your dental problem or concern is and listen to the treatment they recommend. Then reveal what your other dentist has advised and discuss your treatment prospects. You can ask questions such as:
- Do you agree with the diagnosis my dentist has made?
- What are all possible treatment options for my dental issue?
- What is the cost of each dental procedure?
- What does the cost include?
- What will be the results of the procedure, how long will it last, and will I need future treatments?
- What can happen if I do not get treatment for the problem?
- Are there any risks for each treatment option?
- Can I have just this one treatment done at your practice then return to my long-term dentist?
- Do I need to have this procedure done immediately?
Be wary of any dentist who attempts to turn you against your long-term dentist or sway you toward their own practice by telling you what you want to hear. Don’t settle for anything less than forthrightness from a dental professional, and steer clear of any dentist who pressures you to have a procedure.
Johns Creek Dentist Offers Second Opinions
At our Suwanee-area dental practice, there may be times when we recommend that our patients seek a second opinion. We may do this because we sense your hesitation or concern, believe that a specialist is a better fit for your oral health needs, or because we feel that you need the confirmation of another professional to feel comfortable with the decision you make.
At Family & Cosmetic Dental Care, we offer the latest innovations in technology and dental procedures to make your dental experience comfortable and stress-free. From sedation dentistry to one-day dental restorations, it is our goal to provide all levels of dentistry so that you and your family can enjoy comprehensive oral health care, from dental cleanings to orthodontics, cosmetic dentistry to restorative dentistry.
Getting multiple perspectives on your oral health concerns helps confirm, refute, or clarify the situation you are experiencing. Dr. Mitul Patel and the staff at our Johns Creek dental office are prepared to support you as you weigh all the pros and cons of your upcoming treatment so you can make the right decisions for your oral health. If you are seeking a second opinion, contact Dr. Patel at Family & Cosmetic Dental Care to schedule your consultation. We happily serve all North Atlanta communities, including Johns Creek, Duluth, Suwanee, and beyond.